Plastic is surging in the planet’s consciousness. Humanity needs to take action fast – the statistics are horrendous and the harm caused unbearable.
- 12m tonnes of plastic bottles enter our oceans, polluting marine life, every year
- Plastics are made from petroleum or natural gas, non-renewable resources extracted and processed using energy-intensive techniques that destroy fragile ecosystems
- Plastic pollution kills whales and dolphins as well as other marine life
- There are 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic debris in the ocean. Of that mass, 269,000 tons float on the surface, while some four billion plastic microfibers per square kilometer litter the deep sea
- Scientists predict that by 2050 the ocean will contain more plastic by weight than fish
What can I do?
- Stop buying bottled water now
- Boycott corporations that are involved in mass plastic production
- Get a refillable water canteen and drink tap water – this will save you money, is healthier and reduces your ecological impact
**NB – all proceeds will be reinvested in ongoing EcoHustler campaigns